Keeping Schools Safe and Students Learning
Rocky Hanna - Safe Schools
Leon County Schools reopened in August 2020 for classroom instruction, while also allowing parents the option of an online School-Based Digital Academy learning if preferred. Attendance is required in either on-campus or online instruction.
Leon County Schools also maintains a school health dashboard, which shows which schools have had students, faculty, or staff test positive.
Leon County Schools also has created a Health Care Heroes initiative, inspiring students to use safe and healthy practices to protect themselves and others.
If attending school on campus, students, faculty, and staff are required to follow Safe and Healthy practices, including:
- Wearing a mask. Allowable masks include cloth face masks, surgical masks, or N95 respirators. Bandanas, gaiters, scarves, and face masks with valves or visible openings in the material are not allowable face coverings.
- Social distancing. Students will be seated in class to maintain social distancing. If a distance of three feet or more cannot be maintained, the class size will be limited. Students should walk single file in corridors and use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Lockers will not be used.
- Everyone riding a school bus is required to wear a mask or allowable face covering, including the bus driver and bus aide.
- Every Leon County Schools student received a new Chromebook laptop computer at the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year. If your student needs high-speed internet access to take part in digital learning, please contact your school to let them know.
The Leon County Schools Safe Start 2020-2021 website has assembled a comprehensive FAQ section. This section answers many questions, including:
- Will my student be required to wear a mask on campus?
- Will my student be required to wear a mask on the bus?
- Can my student take advantage of digital learning rather than attending class on campus?
- Will my student be able to take part in athletics and school activities?
- What do I do if my student has a fever?
- Will I be notified if other students, faculty, or staff at my student’s school test positive for COVID-19?